Friday, January 7, 2011

Andando por la ciudad

Hello everyone! Day four in Barcelona. Since the last time I've posted, I've seen a ton more of the city and have quite a bit to share. On Wednesday the 5th, Megan and I split up into our two different groups to take a bus tour of the city. This was the last day of orientation (ie. the last day that we get a fancy lunch paid for) but a lot of people were itching to a have a free day to explore. On the bus, we toured through a large part of the city (Barcelona isn't spread out like LA, but compact and pretty dense) and saw some awesome stuff.    We drove straight up to the Sagrada Familia...it's the most intricate building I've ever seen. You could take a whole class on just that one building. Gaudi (the modernist architect of lots of things here in Barcelona) hardly ever uses right angles in his work. (Like another building we saw on one of the wealthier streets called La Perrera). I met more people on the bus and can tell that there's a good group of guys to hang out with in the program.

Yesterday, we pretty much walked everywhere that we passed by in the bus tour. A group of 6 of us walked for 5.5 hours and saw a ton of the city. The highlights were El Parc Montjuic, which is a green, hilly park on the coast right behind my apartment. The park is home to many of the olympic buildings from the Barcelona Olympics in 1992. We took pictures at the Olympic Stadium and the coolest place for me was the Palacio in the park that's now the national museum of art in Catalonia. Pretty cool stuff. 

I have much more to say and many more observations to post, but I'm on my way to the FPC Barcelona museum with my "Guardian Angel" group. I plan to buy a phone today and do my first grocery shopping at El Corte Ingles, and then I'll update later. My own pictures coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment