Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Day Trip to Costa Brava

There's something I haven't been willing to accept as a Californian in Barcelona - it's cold here. Not New York cold, or Simon Cowell in the first audition cities cold (outdated, I know),  but just cold enough to keep you in long sleeves and pants. Despite many people warning me before I came to Barcelona, I refused to believe them. I thought I'd put in my jacket wearing time and be back in flip flops by the beginning of March, but this hasn't turned out to be true.

Well, partly. I wore flip flops as a form of denial that it was still cold and rainy in March. In any case, we took advantage this weekend of the start of Spring weather (or so we thought) to head up the coast of Catalunya, Costa Brava. This is the rugged shoreline filled with little secluded fishing towns that has inspired the likes of Dali and Picasso. After a full day at the beach and exploring the coves, I can say that Costa Brava is a must visit while here in Barcelona.

We caught a bus that took us straight from the city center, through the coastal mountains and into Tossa de Mar, about an hour and a half outside the city. Once we got there, Amir, Megan and I put our Catalan knowledge to use. Thanks to our 101 class, we knew to follow the sign to the "platges" and soon found ourselves in the sand. It had been a long time since the weather aligned with our schedules to allow us to enjoy the beach, so we all sat down and relaxed for a little. This is where Dave enlightened us on the process of rock picking in Minnesota. It's where you dig out the rocks that have risen to the surface to make way for new crops. "You've never done that before?" Maybe one day, Dave. Maybe one day.

The 6 of us guys then set up an impromptu field for ultimate frisbee. We ran around and realize how out of shape we were. This is also where the weather took and abrupt change, and the sky turned grey and the wind picked up. I blame the wind for my rogue throw that almost hit a small child. I felt terrible.

We picked up our things and decided to go explore and get the blood moving. The beach had an awesome castle and wall built into a hill on one side, and on the other were huge climbable rocks. We decided to head for the huge climbable rocks. After climbing up one huge rock in particular in my converse, I could see why Dali and Picasso had the hots for Costa Brava. It's rugged, cliffed, and it's got rugged cliffs. The mountains meet the sea abruptly in Tossa de Mar, but not before the squeeze in a little village with colored houses and fancy places to eat. We sat at the top and felt like kings for a bit before we carefully climbed down. It was at this point that Dave and Amir fought with bamboo sticks.

Before heading back to Barcelona, we went to eat at a beachfront restaurant. We got denied at several others because 5 PM is a very awkward time to eat in Spain. The restaurant that finally agreed to serve us did so awkwardly and reluctantly, but at least the food was good. It had started to rain a little outside, and we all wondered what happened to our perfect beach day. I'll never forget the Tossa de Mar beach nonetheless. It was nothing like California - since when would there be a real castle on a hill in Malibu? Wait...maybe just in Malibu...


Well, hands down the best movie slogan I've seen in a while. 


This is the shot they recommend...frames the hill with the castle.


Me and Megan in front of the awesome rock with a lone tree coming out of it.


Me conquering the rock tree hill with Alex.


Me and Megan with the rocky coast in the back.


Exactly as I found it.


Hey, I thought this looked very blue.


It gets cooler the longer you stare at it.


In the beginning, when the weather was nice!


Rockin' the Fantas. They're very popular here in Spain.


Me and Megan with the castle in the back.


We wanted to take this dog with us. It had some spunk.


An apartment building that looks like the rocky hills behind it.


The highlight of the day was first arriving at the beach and realizing how awesome it is to stumble upon a place like that just an hour outside of the city. It felt like a reward for not being lazy but rather seeking adventure instead. More posts to come!



3 comments:

  1. Wow,beautiful! I will have to put Costa Brava on my list next time I am in Spain. Count down until Calfornia....it was 80 degrees here today. Finally warm and sunny after all the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice knowledge gaining article. This post is really the best on this valuable topic. day tours barcelona

    ReplyDelete