Thursday, February 24, 2011

Cuentito #5 - Outsmarting a Pickpocketer

Quick thing to add on for the day: I survived a pickpocketing attempt with no financial harm.

Here are some techniques that most pickpocketers on the subway utilize:

1. Take advantage of a distraction, or create one yourself.
2. Make the move right before reaching a stop so you have a quick escape.
3. Pick a metro car filled with people during rush hour.
4. Wear some comfortable running shoes.

That's right where I found myself. Megan and I were nearing our stop to go home and the metro was packed. The train stopped more abruptly than normal, and all of us clumped together kind of fell forward to keep our balance. As we fell, everyone grabbed hold of anything to keep them upright. Behind me, I could feel someone with one hand pushing on my back and the other down my back pocket. I had to catch my balance before I could turn around, and people had already started exiting the metro. I didn't see who it could have been, but there was an old man and another woman that saw it happen. They came up to me and asked if he got anything.

Verdict: I listened to CIEE and started keeping my wallet in my front pocket. Take that, dirty thief! Next time I'll just keep a piece of paper in my back pocket that says "Gotcha." 

1 comment:

  1. Proud of you for listening to CIEE and learning something new my boy! Knew they would go after you at some point...you easy American mark.

    ReplyDelete